Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Visiting Manti

I stopped in Manti on the way South to Cedar City. My good friend Carolyn lives in the Denver area now, but she grew up in Manti, so I called her and texted her a photo of the city's landmark -- the Manti temple. I also walked around a small park that told the story of how Chief Wakara o the local Ute Indian tribe went to Salt Lake to ask Brigham Young to send some settlers to the area to help teach them to farm. The indians had been used to hunting buffalo for subsistance, but since the buffalo herds had been devastated by the white men and their westward expansion, it was not longer practical to depend on buffalo for subsistance anymore.




Carolyn suggested that I should stop by her old house and visit with her mom while I was in town, and I thought that was a great idea! It had probably been a couple of decades since I had been to her house or seen her mother. Carolyn's sister Susie also lives at home with her mom. As it turns out, tomorrow is Susie's birthday! Carolyn asked if I would pick up a little birthday surprise for Susie andgive it to her on Carolyn and her husband Lance's behalf. I picked up a balloon and treat from the market, and Susie LOVED them, which made me very happy!




I enjoyed talking with Carolyn's mom and sister. Her mom is bright eyed and energetic, and knows a lot about the local history. It was a treat spending time with them and getting to know them better.

After stopping for pizza in Salina, it was dark by the time I arrived in Cedar City. I was tired, so I'm taking the easy way out and sleeping in my car in the Walmart parking lot. This is a new experience for me, but the manager said they allow overnight sleeping, and I see a few other vehicles that might be doing the same, so that's what I'm doing.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn’t aware that they had a monument in Manti, very interesting… sounds like you had a nice visit with Carolyn’s Mother and Sister. It was nice of you to bring balloons to her Sister to help celebrate her Birthday 😊🎈🎉 Looks like the weather was perfect in Manti. Walmart parking lot sounds like a safe place to sleep, although you may not see a Planet Fitness until St George! Hope you have a great day today! Keri

    ReplyDelete

Most Recent Post

Travel Summary

It was a fun 6 months. Three maps showing a summary of my travels and stops are included below. I drove east across the Southern United Stat...