I purchased a ticket online for "The Petersens" afternoon show in Branson, and it was definitely the highlight of the day today. The Petersens are a family of bluegrass musicians, and I really enjoyed their music. I wanted to see a show that was low key and not glitzy, and this fit the bill perfectly. They even had a meet and greet after the show, where you could ask questions, talk with them, and get a group photo.
The venue was about 80% full, and I had a front row seat!
I was seated in front of the Dobroist. I had never heard of an instrument called the Dobro, but it was fun to watch him play it. It is shaped like a guitar but has a round metal drum on the body. He picked the strings with metal picks on three of his fingers, and he had a metal bar that he vibrated over the strings with his other hand. I liked the sound.
The girl next to him, playing the violin (or fiddle, if you prefer), had a pretty smile. She was just to my left. I could tell she enjoyed playing. She wrote an original song called "Sherwood" that I really liked. I'll have to see if it is on spotify or youtube.
Their mom plays the string bass, a son plays the guitar, another daughter plays mandolin, and the last daughter plays the banjo.
Branson is really spread out! The Petersons played at a small venue named Little Opry Theater, on the outskirts of Branson.
I was surprised how beautiful the Branson area is! It is typical Ozarks, with rolling hills and trees all around. The roads from Bentonville, Arkansas to Branson, Missouri rivaled "the pig trail" -- they wound up and down hills and twisted around curves. The Ozarks roads must be fun to ride on a motorcycle.

I would have been tempted to stay another day and see another show, but I already have reservations to float the Buffalo National River in Arkansas tomorrow morning at 9 am, so I had to hit the road.
I'm spending the night in Harrison, Arkansas, because Harrison is a half hour away from the river outfitter in St Joe, Arkansas, and it has a Planet Fitness for a morning shower. Harrison also has a Walmart parking lot, which is where I will be spending the night tonight in my car.
I did an Internet search of Harrison restaurants. It was a short list, and "Los Aztecas" had good reviews. I ordered the El Pastor Tacos, which have pineapple on the tacos and the plate comes with beans and rice. It was fantastic! The waitress said it was her favorite, and now I understand why! I would definitely order it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment