Saturday, August 3, 2024

National Gallery of Art, Smithsonian museums, and outside on the mall

I used my senior metro card and rode back to see more of the Smithsonians museums. I started with the National Gallery of Art. I spent most of my time in the West building, which houses European and Amercan Art. My legs were tired by the time I got to the East building, which houses modern art, so I didn't spend much time there.

I'll share a few of the paintings I liked and tell you what I liked about them. The first set of paintings and art I'll show have religious themes.

"The Rebuke of Adam and Eve", 1626, oil on canvas, by Domenichino (Italian, 1581-1641). I like this painting of Adam and Eve becase of the posing of the figures. Adam is pointing to Eve like it is not his fault, and Eve knows he is throwing her under the bus.

"The Baptism of Christ",  1535/1540, oil on canvas, by Paris Bordone (Venetian, 1500-1571). I like the flow of the bodies. Never mind that they are not natural poses -- it looks like John the Baptist is posed for a discus throw. 😊

"The Return of the Prodigal Son", 1667/1670, oil on canvas, by Bartolome Esteban Murillo (Spanish, 1617-1682). I like the interaction and expressions of the father and unshaven son. and between the ring bearer and other servant. The excited dog is an added bonus!

"Shallow oval dish with the Sacrifice of Isaac", 17th century lead-glazed earthenware, by Follower of Bernard Palissy (French, 1510-1590). The sacrifice of Isaac is always a good religious theme, and I like how the angel grabbed the blade of the knife and is holding it back with his bare hands.

"The Martyrdom of Saint Bartholomew", 1634, oil on canvas, by Jusepe de Ribers (Spanish, 1591-1652). Bartholemew being tied up to be flayed alive for his beliefs by the knife-weilding man who is about to torture him -- is almost too much to imagine.

"Madonna and Child with Saint Anthony Abbot and Saint Sigismund", 1490/1495, tempura on panel, by Necroccio De Landi (Sienese, 1447-1500). The skinny madonna and unusually inflated baby Jesus are quite a juxtaposition.

"The Bridge at Argenteuil", 1874, oil on canvas, by Claude Monet (French, 1840-1926). I loved the way the paint stroke capture the ripples in the water.

"Still Life with Figs and Bread", ~1770, oil on canvas, by Luis Melendez (Spanish 1715-1780). I like how figs are the centerpiece of this painting. I like the figs, and the detailed texture of the crusty bread looks nice, too. 

"Abraham Lincoln", 1860, oil on canvas, by George Peter Alexander Healy (American, 1813-1894). I like that Lincoln looks so young here without a beard.

"Madame Henriot", 1876, oil on canvas, by Auguste Renoir. Her loving, dark brown eyes are captivating and beautiful.


"Two Women at a Window", 1655/1660, oil on canvas, by Bartolome Esteban Murillo (Spanish, 1617-1682). I like the dark eyes, smooth face, and smile of the girl in front. The laughing eyes and face of the girl in the back are well done.


"Self-Portrait", 1659, oil on canvas, by Rembrandt Van Rijn (Dutch, 1606-1669). I really like the lighting and the expession captured on his face. Although you can't see it in the photo, the texture of the paint on his face really adds to the effect of the painting.
  

"Girl with the Red Hat", ~1669, oil on panel, by Johannes Vermeer (Dutch, 1632-1675). I like the look in her eyes and the expression on her face. It's hard to see in the photo, but the gloss on her lips is very delicate and looks moist.

"Peasants Celebrating Twelfth Night", 1635, oil on panel, by David Teneirs The Younger (Flemish, 1610-1690). I like that the subjects are all informal and look like they are having fun. The dog is looks like he knows he is being watched.

"Marchesa Balbi", 1623, oil on canvas, by Sir Anthony Van Dyke (Flemish, 1599-1641). The detail on the dress is amazing.

"Madame Moitessier", 1851, oil on canvas, by Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres (French, 1780-1867). I like that the way her dark hair hangs sort of mimics the way her dark dress hangs. The droopiness goes along with her sad eyes and face.

"Therese Louise de Sureda", ~1803-1804, oil on canvas, by Francisco De Goya (Spanish 1746-1828). The girl's face and posture remind me of someone I know. I won't say who, though.

"The Colza (Harvesting Rapeseed), 1860, oil on canvas, by Jules Braton (French, 1827-1906). I like how everyone is working outside in the yard. She must have strong back musckes to be holding the rapeseed tray like that.

After leaving the National Gallery of Art, I spent some time in the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and the Museum of American History. I'll be going back tomorrow after church, so I'll post my highlights for those museums tomorrow.

I also walked to the Washington Monument and took photos of the Lincoln Memorial. It was cloudy, and I got to the Metro station just in time to miss a thunderstorm.


I'm spending the night at the Walmart parking lot on Fair Lakes Parkway in Fairfax again tongiht, since I slept well there last night. Tomorrow morning I'll get cleaned up and attend one of the LDS churches in Fairfax.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Post

Travel Summary

It was a fun 6 months. Three maps showing a summary of my travels and stops are included below. I drove east across the Southern United Stat...