I visited the National Museum of American History on both Saturday and Sunday. My favorite exhibits were downstairs. There were three exhibits that I really liked: "America on the Move", "On the Water" and "Lighting a Revolution".
America on the move covered the history of transportation in America, and how changes affected our way of life. From farmers taking their produce by horse driven cart to the local market, to loading them on refrigerated train cars (kept cool by blocks of ice cut from frozen lakes) and making them available across the country.
Walking and bicycling, led to streetcars, trains, automobiles and public transportation like buses.
The Interstate highway system made travel over long distances easier, and opened the way for the interstate trucking industry.
Steamships were used for travel across the ocean. Transporting goods across the ocean required lots of manpower -- cargo nets, hoists and longshoremen. The introduction of standard containers that could be transferred directly from ships to semi trucks or trains caused the cargo nets to be replaced by cranes -- greatly reduced the required manpower.
It was a great exhibit! Below are a few photos I took. The John Bull, below, was the first steam locomotive in the United States. It derailed frequently at first, due to uneven tracks, but that problem was solved by adding guide wheels to the front.
Farmers changed the crops they grew to ones that shipped well and could be grown in quantity. The mass production increased the need for migrant farm workers. A farmer, below, brings boxes of produce to the train station for shipping to the wider market. It not only affected the growers, but small markets that got edged out by large supermarkets carrying items from all over the country and all over the world.
The third exhibit I really liked at the American History Museum was called "Lighting a Revolution". I thought it was interesting that Thomas Edison considered himself an inventor, not a scientist. I guess that makes sense.


















No comments:
Post a Comment