I slept great last night in the Ray's Food Place parking lot! The library across the street is closed on Sunday and Monday, but since it I can park in front of it and connect to the wifi, and I still had catching up to do on my blog, I spent much of the morning updating my blog. Crescent City, California, is less than a two hour drive from Fort Orford, and my plan was to reach there by tonight, so I figured I had plenty of time.
The port in Port Orford looks interesting. The port and boats are high above the water, safe from the storms. It looks like they must use cranes to lower the boats to the water!
As I worked my way south towards the California border, I stopped a few times along the way to take some photos and walk on the beach.
The water was really churning.
Here, the beach looked calm. The smooth layer of water on the beach provided a good reflection of the rock.
At one of my stops, I got a different perspective on the formation of sea stacks. This sign mentions the role of tectonics, and that harder rocks are pushed up from below the surface. It recognizes the role of both tectonics and erosion in the formation of the sea stacks, whereas what I read near Ruby Beach in Washington just mentioned the role of erosion. It makes sense that both erosion and tectonics play a role.
I stopped in Brookings, Oregon, to get something to eat, and found out that the Fred Meyer grocery store allows overnight parking. Brookings, Oregon, is only a half hour north of Crescent City, California, so instead of continuing to Crescent City tonight and finding a place to sleep there, I'm going to stay here in the Fred Meyer parking lot tonight, and continue on to California in the morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment