Today was a day of viewing artwork. My last blog post showed artwork that I found interesting at the Minneapolis Institute of Art this morning. This post covers what I did the rest of the day.
-- Minneapolis Sculpture Garden --
After I left the Institute of Art, I drove to the outdoor Minneapolis Sculpture Garden. Probably the most famous sculpture in the garden is the "Spoonbridge and Cherry", by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen.
My visit had great timing... after all, what are the chances of seeing a "cherry picker" next to the cherry sculpture? I saw both today! 😂
Another iconic sculpture in the sculpture garden is the blue rooster. It is titled, "Hahn/Cock", by Katharina Fritsch. (Hahn is German for rooster or cock.)
An "Untitled" sculpture, by Jim Hodges, reminds me of fillings in teeth. Although most fillings are white nowadays, fillings used to look silver or gold, so it is not much of a stretch to consider other colors such as the yellow, blue, orange, and purple caps on the rocks, below.
The garden has several other statues, but I'll just mention a couple more here. One is the form or a raised hand made of bricks. It is titled, "Hand of Minneapolis", by Judith Hopf. I think it is interesting that the artist was able to successfully construct the contours of a hand in brick.
The last sculpture I will mention is a very dynamic one. It is titled, "Two-Way Mirror Punched Steel Hedge Labyrinth", by Dan Graham. It has multiple instances of a glass panel at a right angle to a steel panel with holes punched in it.
I can't explain how it works, but somehow it creates a two-way mirror where you see a reflection of things on your side of the glass, such as your own reflection, but also can see through the glass to see things located behind the glass. Both images are superimposed on top of each other.
For example, I can see myself reflected back in the glass, but can also see the two people walking behind the glass. The building is physically behind the walking people, but the cherry is behind me even though its reflection is seen between the walking people. I'm not sure about image of the hedge, because there is a hedge on each side of the glass.
A footbridge over the freeway connects the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden with Loring Park. It was interesting to look down and watch the drivers on the freeway. I was surprised how clearly I could see them through their windshields as they passed by. Some drivers had two hands on the wheel, and some had one. Some were concentrating on the road, and others were looking at their cell phone, eating, or were distracted in other ways.
Loring Park has a small lake that is stocked with fish, and a few people were fishing on a short pier.
The park also has a community garden with raised beds. People can sign up for a free plot to grow food. This reminds me of the community gardens in Detroit.


















No comments:
Post a Comment