Whenever I see photos or artwork of Eureka, one or more images of this green Victorian house are always included. It used to be the Carson Mansion, and is still known as that, but it is now a private club.
The pink Victorian house across the street is the second most famous Victorian house in Eureka.
Eureka has a lot of Victorian buildings downtown and in older neighborhoods. They are beautiful when they are kept up, and many are. If the wooden exterior isn't kept up in this wet climate, though, it takes a lot of work to repair the damage.
The logging industry is huge in Eureka. Even the high school sports team is the Loggers.
Fishing is also important to the local economy. There are a lot of boats in the harbor. Rows of crab pots are stacked up on the shore, waiting for crab season.
I've seen a significant number of homeless around town. The year round temperatures are moderate compared to other areas of the country, but it rains a lot. Being wet, cold, and living on the streets seems miserable. It rained off and on all day today... sometimes quite hard, as the photo I took tonight near a light shows.
Local Ballot Measure F is somehow related to providing affordable low income housing. I see signs in favor of F, and signs against it. I don’t know the details, but evidently there are differences of opinion. Just like in the Presidential race... some people want Trump for president, and others want Harris. The opposing banners and flags displayed by the next door neighbors in the photo below are a good example.
It's raining tonight, so I decided to go to a local stand up comedy club. Stand up comedy is always risky because you never know what kind of material the comics will present. There isn't much else going on tonight, so I took the risk. I should have known better.
The subjects of the comedy were drugs and sex, and I ended up walking out after it wasn't getting any better. Drugs seem pretty prevalent around here, and not just based on the reactions from the audience. This is Humbolt County, after all -- known for growing Marijuana. I've smelled Marijuana a lot around here, and I've see a lot of people on the street lighting up cigarettes or other smokable substances.
When I went to the Humbolt County Visitors Bureau this morning, the girl who waited on me seemed to have brain fog. Maybe she was just having a bad morning, but I suspected drug use might have dulled her memory. The girl at the California Welcome Center, on the other hand, was very helpful and sharp as a tack this morning.
Eureka definitely has a creative element, as evidenced by all the murals around town. I started taking photographs of the murals I saw, but stopped after a while because there are so many.
I'm ending today's blog entry by posting photos of murals. Just keep in mind these aren't even all of the murals I saw in Eureka today, and there are no doubt others I didn’t see!








































No comments:
Post a Comment