Friday, May 31, 2024

Sedona to South Rim of the Grand Canyon

-- Sedona --

I went for a short walk on a couple of trails in Sedona and admired the view and plant life -- lots of juniper trees and flowering cactus.







Sedona seems to be an upscale, artsy community. Lots of nice houses and something for everyone.





The lady at the visitors center last night told me the Chapel of the Holy Cross church had a "must see" view, so I visited it.





As for hiking trails, I really likes the Baldwin loop trail that I hiked last night, with the Crescent Moon side trail to the water.  I drove to the Soldier Pass Trailhead this morning, and judging by the number of hikers waiting for the shuttle, that is probably the most popular trail around here, although there are a lot to choose from.


-- Grand Canyon --

I arrived at the East entrance of the Grand Canyon, took in the view, and went to the visitor center for some  advice.





The East entrance visitor center is on the first floor of a tower, and you can get free tickets to go upstairs. The artwork inside the tower was beautiful.





When I registered for my site at the campground, the campground host told me there was a chance of another aurora event tonight, and we might get to see the northern lights, so I decided to sleep on the ground tonight without my tent and admire the sky.



I drove to the main visitors center. It was already closed for the day but the weather predictions were posted on the wall. It is warmer at the bottom of the valley. The air is more stagnant at the bottom; the wind helps cool things at the top.


Sunset at South Rim of the Grand Canyon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Post

Travel Summary

It was a fun 6 months. Three maps showing a summary of my travels and stops are included below. I drove east across the Southern United Stat...