Friday, May 31, 2024

Sedona

I arrived in Sedona yesterday afternoon. After astop at the visitors center for advice, I drove to the Baldwin trailhead to hike the loop trail. The lady at the visitors center said it would give me the view you typically see of Sedona in books and on postcards, and she was right!




I hadn't expected the water, or I wouldn't have left my swimsuit and water shoes in the care! Evidently everyone else knew and came here to cool off.




I had to settle to soaking my feet in the cool, flowing water, which felt great!


After a bit of relaxation, I resumed my hike on the Badwin loop trail. The river was actually a small side trip on the Crescent Moon trail. I wouldn't have known about it, but I was hiking with a couple from Vancouver, BC, and they knew you had to take a side trail to the river --- plus, from a distance we could hear the people splashing and having fun!



The loop trail was scenic near sunset.





The lady at the vistors center had given me a map of dispersed camping sites in the area, so I headed there next, and arrived after dark and settled in for the night. It was basically a big dirt field where you could park your car or RV and set up camp. I slept in my car, as usual.

Around 6:15 in the morning, as I was getting ready to get out of the car and break camp, I heard some loud snorting noises. I thought maybe some cows were grazing nearby, but when I looked out my car window I saw air balloons!


The balloons were actually landing, not taking off! I asked the outfitters whatit cost, and they said $350 a head -- which isn't cheap. The prices in Albequerque are more like $200, but Sedona is an upscale tourist are.


The town of Cottonwood is about a 10-15 minute drive South of the dispersed camping area, and they have a Walmart and Planet Fitness gym, so I headed there for some grocery shopping and a shower. The walmart had Bluebell ice cream, which is good stuff!!! Too bad they're all full half gallons, because I'm not going to eat that much!



Now that I've showered and used the Planet Fitness wifi to update my blog, time for some more hiking. I can't stay in Sedona too long because I have a campsite reserved for tonight at the South rim of the Grand Canyon, so I'll be driving there this afternoon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Post

Travel Summary

It was a fun 6 months. Three maps showing a summary of my travels and stops are included below. I drove east across the Southern United Stat...