I don't know if they were cicadas -- maybe some were -- but I listened to a variety of insect noises last night in my tent. They weren't bothersome and didn't keep me awake. I slept great, but I was very sweaty when I woke up (I'm not used to the humidity) and my sleeping pad was damp. I need to get a sheet to sleep on so the pad doesn't collect my sweat 😓. I can always wash a sheet, but I don't want my sleeping pad to get too messed up.
I like my campsite because it is secluded and well shaded, but it is a hike from the parking area. In the following photo, my tent is the little white thing in the background, left of the water fountain. You can hardly see it.
After getting showered at the gym and putting on my church clothes, I attended the local church. I don't make a habit of shopping on Sunday, but there was a Sams Club nearby so I went inside and bought a "cooling throw blanket" that is supposed to keep you cool on hot nights. We'll see how well it works tonight.
By that time I was hungry and it was time to try some Goldee's Bar-B-Q! My friend Dan told me Goldee's is the #1 rated BBQ in Texas, so I had to try it! It wasn't downtown; instead, it was a bit of a drive on some back roads but Google Maps got me there.
I got there a half hour before closing. I was lucky they hadn't run out of food! All they had left, though, was chopped brisket and sausage. I ordered a chopped brisket sandwich and side of coleslaw. The guy behind the counter generously threw in a couple of complementary sausages.
The brisket was Heavenly. Moist, and with such a smooth flavor. It was head and shoulders above what I had a couple of nights ago at Rudy's. I can understand why Goldee's got rated #1. It tasted so good that I hated to mask any of the flavor with their sauce, but I eventually did, and it was a good combination.
The coleslaw was unique with its red onions, which I liked, so it was also a winner! I would have to say the coleslaw was the best I've ever tasted. The sausage was super moist and flavorful with a crunchy casing. It paired well with their sauce. I ate one of the sausages and am saving the other for breakfast tomorrow (I bought some ice to keep it cold).
The Goldee's staff was super fun and friendly. I really liked them, and they took a photo for me.
The Fort Worth Stockyard moves their herd of a couple dozen longhorns twice daily. The second cattle drive is at 4 pm daily, and I wanted to see it, so I was off to the stockyards! I got there just in time and joined the others around the edge of the street waiting for the longhorns.
The cattle drive is definitely for the tourists, and the novelty got me to come.
After the cattle drive, you could take a covered wagon or stage coach ride, they staged a mock gunfight, and there was a corral behind the exchange where you could watch the longhorns feeding.
I was content to relax in an Adirondack chair on the shaded front porch of the stock exchange and listen to the country music playing on the loudspeakers. What a great and relaxing way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
Similar to the Hollywood walk of fame, the stockyard has medals in the sidewalk honoring notable cowboys, cowgirls and other groups.
The campground's 10 pm curfew is cramping my style. I wanted to sit here and keep listening to music but I needed to head back to the campground so I wouldn't get locked out and have to walk from the front gate to my campsite. I'm glad I only reserved it for 2 nights.





















No comments:
Post a Comment