Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Visiting Ocmulgee Mounds in Macon, Georgia; and visiting Vin in Alpharetta, GA

-- Indian mounds --

I think I have about as many questions about Indian mounds after visiting Ocmulgee Mounds National Historic Park in Macon, Georgia, than I had before my visit. Archeologists have grouped the Native American mounds found in the United States into three periods: Late Archaic Period (1650 B.C. to 1000 B.C.), Woodland Period (1000 B.C. to 900 A.D), and Mississippian Period (900 A.D. to 1540 A.D.). The mounds in this park are from the Mississippian Period. It would be interesting to see and learn more about the other known mound sites across the country.

There is a lot that is not known about the mounds -- especially at older sites. Evidently the purpose of some mounds at this site was to create a flat, raised area upon which buildings could be constructed. It is thought that the homes of the chiefs and other leaders of high status were constructed on top of the mounds. There is also a burial mound here, so all mounds don't have the same purpose. Ceremonial temples were also on mounds, such as the great temple mound here. At least that is my understanding after reading the signs and talking with the ranger, but no guarantee I'm getting it right.

The mounds are large. For perspective, a boardwalk for park visitors is visible to the left of the great temple mound in the top of the photo below. Although covered with vegetation now, the sides of the mounds are believed originally to have been covered with colorful clay. The flat area in the foreground is believed to have been the location of a trading post, and the depressions in the ground are believed to have been where food was stored.

The below photo was taken on top of the great temple mound. In the photo, a few other visitors are standing at the far end of the mound, so you can see how wide it is.

The mounds are believed to have been constructed by carrying dirt in baskets by hand. I really can't imagine moving that much dirt in that way. They were also built in stages -- not all at once. Here is the view from the top of the mound, looking at the surrounding area.

An earth lodge sits atop a hill (not a mound), near the trading post area. A park bridge and walkway lead to the lodge on top of the hill.


Although covered in dirt now, the lodge might have had a thatched roof -- so the reconstruction may not be totally accurate.


The floor of the lodge has a raised area shaped like a bird's head, with indentations for three leaders to sit.


There is a lot that I don't understand about this place. The tribe that were living here are known to us as the Creek Indians, but they called themselves Muscogee. The white settlers originally called them the Ochese Creek Indians because they lived alongside what was known as Ochese Creek. Ochese was eventually dropped from the name, and they became known as the Creek. Similar to what happened to the Cherokee tribe, the Creeks had a "Trail of Tears" when they were driven from this area and sent to Indian land in Oklahoma.

Then again, maybe the mounds were built to keep people safe from the alligators in the lowlands, haha! This sign was at the trailhead of a trail that went down by the creek.


In summary, I'm still confused and don't feel like I have the big picture.

-- Drive to Alpharetta --

After visiting the mounds, I drove to my former roommate Vin's house in Alpharetta, Georgia, which is north of Atlanta. Vin and I were roommates in the 1980s when we both lived in Raleigh, NC.

Unfortunately, I got pulled over by the state police while driving to Alpharetta, and was given a ticket for holding my cell phone in my hand while driving. The officer explained that a cell phone cannot rest on any part of your body while driving in the state of Georgia. I have now been forewarned! The officer told me he thought the fine for a first offense is around $50.

Vin had some electrical work to do when I first got to his house, and then we went out to eat Philly steak sandwiches at Knuckies restaurant. After that, we sat and talked while I did my laundry at his house.

I'm sleeping at Vin's house tonight. Tomorrow Vin will drive me to the MARTA light rail station and I'll ride the train to the Atlanta airport. Vin is letting me store my car at his house while I fly to Raleigh, NC, for a few days. My friend Dan's birthday is on July 4, and I'll be flying to Raleigh to celebrate his birthday with him and his family. They also invited me to go to the beach with them while I am there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Post

Travel Summary

It was a fun 6 months. Three maps showing a summary of my travels and stops are included below. I drove east across the Southern United Stat...