Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Flying to Raleigh for Dan's July 4 Birthday

Vin fixed a good bacon & eggs and waffle breakfast, and then dropped me off at the North Springs light rail station, where I caught a train to the Atlanta airport for my afternoon flight to Raleigh.

The takeoff and landing were a little turbulent, but the flight was otherwise uneventful. I watched the first half of the movie "Wonka" on the short flight. The photo below is the view over Falls Lake, as the plane circled just before landing in Raleigh. Raleigh is a pretty area.


Dan picked me up at the Raleigh airport in his new truck. It is a good looking Toyota Tundra with a V8 engine and nice tires. I hadn't seen it before.

Dan and I are really good friends. We met when we worked together at HP in Roseville, California, in the mid-1990s and have been great friends since. Dan changed companies to a startup in 2000, and I followed a few months later. We worked together there for over 15 years until he moved to Raleigh. I miss having him around, but I've come to Raleigh to visit several times and he's also come to my house -- sometimes with his family.

I've known his wife Jasey since before they were married, and known their two children since they were babies. I love them like nieces and nephews, so it is always great seeing them.

Dan's parents, who live in Illinois, are also here in Raleigh for his birthday, and will be going to the beach with us. Dan and I have gone fishing in Canada with his dad and cousins several times, and we've stayed at his parents' house in Illinois each time, so I know his parents really well, too. They are both really nice and I'm glad I see them again. 

Jasey had a burrito bar ready for us when we got home. Then we went out for ice cream and played Uno Flip, which is a fun version of the Uno card game that I had never played before. 

Dan and his mom and I walked their dog Hershey tonight. He is a chill labradoodle and gets walked around the neighborhood at least twice a day -- first thing in the morning and in the evening before dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Post

Travel Summary

It was a fun 6 months. Three maps showing a summary of my travels and stops are included below. I drove east across the Southern United Stat...