Thursday, July 4, 2024

Happy 4th of July and Happy Birthday, Dan!

Dan and I rode out to his tree farm this morning to make sure the hogs had enough food, drinking water, and water in their pond. We rode in his new truck.

Dan is raising 3 hogs this year. He knows how to butcher them. He keeps the meat from one, and has friends who always want to lay claim to the others.


After we got back to the house, Dan opened his birthday presents. One of his presents was a shirt like his father's and daughter's. All three own pickup trucks.


Dan is a great backyard chef. His cousin Cameron and two of his cousin's friends came over for dinner. I had met all of Cameron's brothers on previous fishing trips with Dan to either Canada or Alaska, so I finally met the last brother in the clan today.

Dan had planned ahead (he's good at that) and purchased nice cuts of meat for all of us from the butcher. He grilled them on his wood BBQ in the backyard. He's good at it, he and Jasey know how to season the meat, and he knows when the meat is ready. My steak was very flavorful, with a nice smoked flavor from the wood. My piece was big enough that I saved some for leftovers tomorrow.


Like most teenage boys nowadays, Dan's son was upstairs playing video games with remote friends while dinner was Being prepared. I like him! 😀 He and his sister are great!

They have a screened in back porch with a table and chairs. The screens keep the bugs out, which is nice. A butterfly bush is well placed just outside the porch and attracts large butterflies. 

After dinner we had a cookie cake decorated like a watermelon, and Dan blew out all the candles.

Dan and I took Hershey for a walk before all the fireworks noise started. We heard a few booms in the distance, which Hershey didn't like, but we got back home before any major 4th of July noise.

Jasey and their daughter went to watch fireworks, and the rest of us stayed home and played Uno Flip and Old Maid before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Post

Travel Summary

It was a fun 6 months. Three maps showing a summary of my travels and stops are included below. I drove east across the Southern United Stat...