Friday, July 5, 2024

Virtual Reality

Dan's teenage son set me up with his virtual reality goggles and hand controls, and taught me how to pick up things with my hands and move around in the virtual reality world. He demonstrated how everything works, and explained the physical boundaries.

After I put on the goggles, I was totally immersed in the virtual reality world and forgot about the room I was playing in. It was a shock whenever I took off the goggles and was brought back to the reality of my true surroundings.

When the goggles are on and I am holding the hand controls, the virtual reality makes my hands appear as bodiless white gloves mimicking my hand movements in the air. If I saw something in the virtual reality world that I wanted to pick up, I would move a hand to the object and squeeze my fingers around it.

I asked him to start me with the easiest game so I could get the hang of things. I tried three different games. he started me with Job Simulator. I was an office worker and then an auto mechanic. He showed me another game where you create worlds. It looked too complicated, so for the second game, I tried Vacation Simulator and went to a beach.

The most fun game was the third game -- Beat Saber. In this game, blue and yellow blocks come flying at you while you listen to music. You have a blue saber in one hand and a yellow saber in the other, and have to knock away each block with the matching color saber, knocking it in the direction specified by an arrow on the block. There are many levels of difficulty. I started with the easiest and then tried a couple of harder ones.

My mentor encouraged me and gave me tips while I played each of the games. Here is a photo of me playing Beat Saber while my coach is following the action echoed to the nearby computer screen and is cheering me on.


Click here to see the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Post

Travel Summary

It was a fun 6 months. Three maps showing a summary of my travels and stops are included below. I drove east across the Southern United Stat...