Friday, August 16, 2024

Revisiting the Lower Yough River in Ohiopyle, PA

I slept great last night in my tent! This morning I walked around the Outflow campground, and saw some fishermen fishing below the dam.

The river is beautiful and peaceful here.


When I was here in July, I didn't have time to look around the Ohiopyle before kayaking the river, so I wanted to go back there today and take a better look around. I also wanted to get a tee shirt.

The photo below is where everyone puts their rafts and kayaks into the Lower Yough river, and where we started our river run back in July.


Just above the put-in spot is a large waterfall, which is avoided. 



There is a sign on the way down to the river that gives advice on how to run the rapids. Another sign touts the advantages of a "Duckie" -- an inflatable kayak. Although the sign shows  a two-man duckie,  I went down the river in a one-man duckie last month.


 

The Yough (Youghiogheny) joins the Monongahela river further down the river, and the Monongahela then flows into the Ohio river in Pittsgburgh.


I bought both a tee shirt and a hat -- to remember my rafting and kayak trips on the Yough.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Post

Travel Summary

It was a fun 6 months. Three maps showing a summary of my travels and stops are included below. I drove east across the Southern United Stat...